On average, it takes 3-4 months to shop for a home and 30-60 days to close on your property once you're under contract.
There are a lot of variables that go into buying a house that could make things move faster or slower. The timeline differs for each individual and depends on the housing marketing, inventory, time of year, your financing needs, and the kind of home you're looking for.
Here's a generic outline of the buying process from beginning to end (with the average amount of time each step takes) so you can get an idea of what to expect when buying a home!
1. Find a trusted and knowledgeable real estate agent: 1-2 weeks
2. Get a pre-approval letter from your mortgage lender: 1-2 weeks
3. Make your home buying wish-list: 2-3 days
4. Tour homes with your real estate agent: 2 weeks-3 months
5. Submit an offer: 1-2 days
6. Negotiate if necessary: 2 days-1 week
7. Get loan approval and do home appraisal and inspection: 1-2 months
8. Sign closing documents and get the keys to your new home: 1 days
Interested in homeownership? Contact us — We would love to chat more with you about the home-buying process!